Status of Fern Lake Fire as of Oct 11, 2012
The National Park Service has sent out an update on the Fern Lake Fire:
- The wildfire has grown to 660 acres according to fire officials, and remains uncontained as of noon today.
- Changes in the fire's behavior today have been minimal.
- More than 90 personnel, seven fire engines, and two heavy helitankers are focusing today on containing the fire inside park boundaries north of Glacier Creek, west of Hollowell Park, and south of Trail Ridge Road.
- Currently, Bear Lake Road, Upper Beaver Meadows Road, and Moraine Park Campground are closed.
- All park trails accessed from Bear Lake Road and Highway 66 have been closed, as are trails south of Trail Ridge Road (including the Ute Trail).
- Trail Ridge Road remains open.
- No open fires or smoking are permitted in the park.
- A cold front is expected to pass through the area of the fire today, and there is a chance of precipitation on Friday, October 12.
Information about the fire will be updated at inciweb.org/incident/3294, and on the park's website at www.nps.gov/romo and by dialing 970-586-1391.