Mountain Biking & Road Biking Near Estes Park
From road biking in Rocky Mountain National Park, to 4WD roads and single track in surrounding National Forests, great mountain biking opportunities are all around Estes Park.
- Trail Ridge Road was recently repaved and makes for incredibly smooth downhill cruising (about 25 miles worth from the top of the Continental Divide).
- Lake Estes Bike Path - an easy 3.75 mile loop around Lake Estes
- Devils Gulch to Dry Gulch - an intermediate 9 mile loop starting near the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, and following McGregor Ranch Road/Devils Gulch to H Bar G Rd, then Dry Gulch back to Hwy 34 in Estes Park. The views back to the Continental Divide are spectacular.
Winter roads in Rocky Mountain National Park open first to bikers in April before opening to cars for the season. You can have Old Fall River road (dirt), and Trail Ridge Road (paved) all to yourself in the spring!
Although all 4WD roads are open to bikes, not all hiking trails allow bikes. Locals favorite multi-use trails for mountain biking are:
- Crosier Mountain out of Glen Haven
- Pole Hill near Hermit Park
- Halls Ranch out of Lyons
Estes Park Mountain Shop has bike rentals and repair, and knowledgeable staff who bike the trails every chance they get. They can help you find routes to match your ability and desire.
June 9-15, 2018 is the Ride the Rockies Bicycle Tour in Colorado. This year's route is a 418 mile loop beginning & ending in Breckenridge, with an overnight in Grand Lake on Day 4. With pro riders from around the world, this is a fun spectacle to watch.
For a road bike trip of a lifetime, plan to take part in the Bicycle Tour of Colorado each June. 2018 Tour starts and ends in Leadville (June 24-30) and goes through Carbondale, Delta, Palisade, Glenwood Springs, and Eagle. This is a 7 day, fully supported bicycle camping tour in the spectacular Colorado Rocky Mountains.