From road biking in Rocky Mountain National Park, to the Stanley Park Bike Park, to 4WD roads and single track in surrounding National Forests, great mountain biking opportunities are all around Estes Park.
- Trail Ridge Road makes for exciting downhill cruising (about 25 miles worth from the top of the Continental Divide).
- Lake Estes Bike Path – an easy 3.75 mile loop around Lake Estes
- Stanley Park Bike Park – fun course to build your mountain bike skills
- Devils Gulch to Dry Gulch – an intermediate 9 mile loop starting near the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, and following McGregor Ranch Road/Devils Gulch to H Bar G Rd, then Dry Gulch back to Hwy 34 in Estes Park. The views back to the Continental Divide are spectacular.
Winter roads in Rocky Mountain National Park open first to bikers in April before opening to cars for the season. You can have Old Fall River road (dirt), and Trail Ridge Road (paved) all to yourself in the spring!
Although all 4WD roads are open to bikes, not all hiking trails allow bikes. Locals favorite multi-use trails for mountain biking are:
- Crosier Mountain out of Glen Haven
- Pole Hill near Hermit Park
- Halls Ranch out of Lyons
Estes Park Mountain Shop has bike rentals and repair, and knowledgeable staff who bike the trails every chance they get. They can help you find routes to match your ability and desire.
In June 2023 the Ride the Rockies Bicycle Tour rode over Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.
The 37th Annual Ride the Rockies took place from June 11-16, 2023, based in Fort Collins, Colorado. This year’s event is a challenging 308-mile loop with big climbs and beautiful views, featuring scenic rides through the Rocky Mountain National Park, a summit of Trail Ridge Road, and a 91-mile finish. Riders will pedal for six days, climbing 26,890 ft with overnights in Fort Collins, Grand Lake, Winter Park, Gilpin County, and two nights in Estes Park.
Ride the Rockies is not a race but an opportunity for riders of all levels to push themselves while enjoying the natural beauty of Colorado with a community of like-minded individuals. The event is produced by Ventures Endurance Events, also known for producing the famous RAGBRAI, aka Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa.