Reservations to Enter Rocky Mountain National Park
Needed between May 26 and October 22, 2023
Timed Entry Permit Reservations are required along with a park pass/entrance fee in order to enter Rocky Mountain National Park if you’re visiting from May 26 through October 22, 2023.
Permits issued using the Timed Entry Reservation system account for roughly 90% of the Park’s parking capacity, or approximately 20,000 visitors per day. Visitors enter the Park during their reserved two hour entry window, with no set time for departure. The system is designed to alleviate over-crowding and provide a better experience for Park visitors.
Depending on where you want to go in the Park, there are two options for your Timed Entry Permit:
- Bear Lake Road Corridor on the east side of the Park (includes the rest of the Park) between 5am and 6pm
- Rest of the Park – Park access without Bear Lake Road between 9am and 2pm
For details to help you decide which option to choose click here: Which permit to choose?.
With a camping reservation at Aspen Glen, Glacier Point, or Timber Creek campgrounds, you can enter at 1pm on the start date of your reservation. Access outside the reserved hours above does not require a reservation.
You will also need a Park Pass or pay an Entrance Fee. Inter-agency passes for Seniors, Military, Volunteer, 4th Grade, Access, or Annual are honored. Rocky Annual Pass, or one or seven day entrance fees are available.
When and Where can I get my Timed Entry Permit Reservation?
Reservations to enter the park will go on sale through www.recreation.gov basically one month in advance, first-come first-served.
- Reservations will become available on May 1 at 8 a.m. (MDT) for reservations to enter the park from May 26 through June 30.
- Reservations will become available on June 1, at 8 a.m. (MDT) for reservations to enter the park during the month of July (and any remaining days that have not been booked for June).
- Reservations will become available on July 1, at 8 a.m. (MDT) for reservations to enter the park during the month of August (and any remaining days that have not been booked for July).
- Reservations will become available on August 1, at 8 a.m. (MDT) for reservations to enter the park during the month of September (and any remaining days that have not been booked for August).
- Reservations will become available on September 1, at 8 a.m. (MDT) for reservations to enter the park during the month of October (and any remaining days that have not been booked for September).
What if I didn’t plan ahead?
If you’ve missed the window to get your summer online reservation, about 40% of each day’s permits will be held and available for purchase online the day prior at 5 p.m. through recreation.gov. These are expected to sell out quickly and visitors are encouraged to plan ahead when possible.
Entry Reservation Tickets are also available:
- by calling the Reservation Line: 877-444-6777
- Reservation International: 606-515-6777
- Reservation Line (TDD) 877-833-6777
- or by using the recreation.gov mobile app (iOS/Android).
Reservations are NOT available at park entrance stations or park offices.
Timed Entry Permit Reservations are free but recreation.gov charges a nonrefundable $2 reservation processing fee.
TIP: Make life easier by setting up a Recreation.gov account in advance and securing a Timed Entry Permit Reservation before you arrive at the park. Timed Entry helps reduce crowding during Summer and Fall in popular areas of the Park.